New Delhi: An India army soldier, who served as Junior Commissioned Officer (JCO) for 30 years is upset with the government for not including his and his family’s names in the recently announced final National Register of Citizens (NRC) draft. Talking to ANI Mohammad A Haq said, “I served in the Indian army for 30 years. I am really sad that my name is not mentioned in the NRC list. I served the nation with commitment. I have legacy data of my parents. The investigation should be fair and friendly.”
Mohammad served the Indian Army between September 1986 and September 2016. He hopes that the government will help him and his family.
The NRC draft, which was released on July 30, left out nearly 40 lakh people in Assam, incorporating names of 2.89 crore people out of 3.29 crore applicants. Since then, the Opposition has been at loggerheads with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)-led Centre over the issue.
The first draft which was published on December 31, 2017, had of 1.9 crore names out of 3.29 crore applicants.
The NRC draft features the names, addresses, and photographs of all Indian citizens, who have been residing in the northeastern state before March 25, 1971.
Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal has urged the people of Assam not to harbour any apprehensions regarding the updating process of the NRC and said, “outsiders making provocative statements about NRC will not be accepted”. Speaking on the issue of NRC, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee had warned of bloodbath and civil war following which Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba Parishad lodged an FIR at Assam’s Lakhimpur Sadar Police Station against her for her remarks on NRC.