New Delhi: Defending champions Germany faced a shock humiliation at the hands of South Korea as they bowed out of FIFA World Cup 2018 on Wednesday afternoon (June 27). South Korea defeated the four-time World Champions 2-0 at the Kazan Arena in Russia to show them the exit door from the group stage of the tournament. Germany bagged just three points from a win and two defeats in Russia to finish at the bottom of the group stage.
Germany required to win against South Korea by two goals regardless of the result in Sweden-versus-Mexico match. However, heading into the injury time, they were far away from round-of-16 qualification for Sweden had scored three goals against Mexico.
And then in the injury time, Kim Young-Gwon scored after a VAR referral gave it a green signal before skipper Son Heung-Min rolled the ball into the empty net to make it 2-0 for South Korea.
Germany had earlier lost to Mexico in their opener, while Toni Kroos’ late strike against Sweden kept them alive in the tournament.
Here are all the numbers behind defending champions Germany’s tragic World-Cup campaign in Russia…
1) Germany had last walked out of the group stage of the FIFA World Cup tournament in 1938 when they were held 1-1 by Switzerland before being beaten 4-2 by them. 80 years hence, South Korea inflicted the same.
2) Germany have scored a total of just two goals in FIFA World Cup 2018 and both came against Sweden, which was their second Group-F tie. The tally is the fewest Germans have ever netted in World Cup finals, surpassing their previous worse of 1938 where they had scored three goals in their two matches against Switzerland.
3) Germany’s exit from World Cup 2018 on Wednesday made them the fourth defending champions to walk out of the tournament after the first round. France (2002), Italy (2010) and Spain (2014) are the other teams.
4) Germany were in winning position by just one minute in 2018 FIFA World Cup against Sweden when Toni Kroos had scored in the injury time.
5) The holders have failed to win two matches in the group stage of FIFA World Cup for the first time in 32 years since the format of group fixture was introduced in the tournament. In 1958 and 1978, they had won and drew in the group stage.
6) South Korea have become the first Asian team to defeat Germany in World Cup finals and also the first from AFC to net a goal against Germany in 24 years.