If ever a list is made featuring some of the most loved Indian cricketers, MS Dhoni’s name would be listed amongst the top ones, not just because of his contribution to the game, but also because of the persona the Ranchi-born cricketer has. While MS Dhoni: The Untold Story, biopic on the former Indian skipper’s life, revealed many hidden secrets that fans weren’t aware of, there are still many facts that aren’t known to the common public.
For instance, how many people would be aware that MS Dhoni’s name was recommended as the captain of Indian team by Sachin Tendulkar? As Mahi turns 37 years old on July 7, 2018, here’s a list of 7 facts about The Captain Cool that even the most ardent fans of his would not have known:
- MS Dhoni is only the second Indian after the legendary Kapil Dev to be given the honarary rank of Lieutenant Colonel by the Indian Territorial Army. It happened on On November 1, 2011.
- MS Dhoni donned the long hair early in his cricketing career after seeking inspiration from Bollywood actor John Abraham.
- MS Dhoni often visits temples, with one of the most frequently visited being the Deori Mandir on National Highway 33 in Ranchi.
- MS Dhoni is an ardent fan of Kishore Kumar’s songs and often listens to his melodies from a collection of old classic Hindi movies.
- MS Dhoni, one of the greatest cricketers India has ever produced, is a fond lover of WWE and admired the greats Bret ‘The Hitman’ Hart and Hulk Hogan.
- MS Dhoni and his wife Sakshi met for the first time in Kolkata in November 2007, as Dhoni had arrived with the Indian team to play Pakistan at the Eden Gardens stadium.
- While MS Dhoni’s love for football isn’t hidden from anyone, not many know that he fondly plays badminton too.
Here’s wishing one of the most loved Indian cricketers ever, MS Dhoni, a happy 37th birthday.