New Delhi: More and more people are starting to use services like net banking, online shopping and payment, online bill payment, online recharge etc. The more people use this services the more vulnerable their financial details like credit card details, netbanking details, debit card details are to theft and hacking. Phishing, credit card cloning is happening frequently which puts people at the risk of losing money.
If you are not careful enough with your financial details online then you can lose your heard money to frauds and thieves online as well. You might believe that since everything is password protected, you don’t have to worry about anything but, in reality, you can be scammed pretty easily and your financial details can be stolen online as well.
Here are 5 ways you can protect your financial details online:
1. Secure sites are those which are encrypted which makes sure that any data entered on the website will be encoded and cannot be decoded by a third party. Whenever you are on a website which includes any form of financial transaction, always makes sure that there is a lock before the web address. This ensures that your financial information like card details or netbanking details won’t be stolen.
2. There are some fake websites which offer you products at prices that are too good to be true. In reality, these sites are not e-commerce sites at all. Their payment gateway is a fake page which copies all the card details or net banking details entered by you and when you press enter it shows some kind of error and payment is not successful. You leave the website thinking it could be a bank server issue but in reality, your financial details are stolen. Always purchase from trusted sites only.
3. Only download the official banking apps from the app store. A lot of fake banking apps are also there on the app store which might extract your net banking and card details and steal your money. Always make sure that you download the official app released by the bank. Most banks provide app download link and other information on their website.
(Picture Credit: HDFC Bank website)
4. If you ever use net banking facility on a public computer, make sure to log out of your account and delete the browser history before closing the browser. Never close the browser without logging out of the account on a public computer. This way you can make sure that your details remain secure. If you are using Wi-Fi at home then make sure it is password protected so that no hacker can peep in.
5. Subscribe to email and SMS alerts whenever there is transaction through your account. This way you will get to know if there is any unusual transaction through your account. Always opt for a two-fold authentication option like a One-time password (OTP) and security questions. This will help you keep your financial details safe and even if your details are compromised the two-fold authentication will prevent the culprits from stealing anything and you can change your password to prevent further attempts.