Chandigarh: Early morning rains lashed Chandigarh and adjoining areas today, while all government and private schools in Haryana are closed on Monday (May 07) and Tuesday (May 08) in view of the warning issued by the India Meteorological Department (IMD) regarding thunderstorm accompanied with squall at some places in the state. Besides Haryana, there is a storm warning for other north Indian states too for the next two days. A few private schools in Chandigarh also announced closure for two days.
The Haryana Revenue and Disaster Management Department have, meanwhile, issued an advisory, proposing tips to be adopted in case of dust storms, thunderstorms, and squall. The department’s spokesperson said there was no need to panic. He added that people should abide by safety precautions, take special care of children and senior citizens.
All the Haryana departments have been asked to remain alert. Last week, 124 people lost their lives and more than 300 were injured in thunderstorms and lightning that hit Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, Punjab, and Telangana.
Here are the warnings issued by the IMD website for May 07:
* Thunderstorm accompanied with squall and hail very likely at isolated places over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Punjab.
* Thunderstorm accompanied with squall very likely at isolated places over Haryana, Chandigarh & Delhi.
* Thunderstorm accompanied with gusty winds very likely at isolated places over West Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Sikkim, Odisha, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura, Interior Karnataka and Kerala.
* Dust storm very likely at isolated places over Rajasthan.
* Heavy rain very likely at isolated places over Assam & Meghalaya and Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram & Tripura.
* Heat wave conditions likely at one or two pockets over Vidarbha.